The biggest discovery, of course, is that life is short and there is so much to learn! (Well, I did know that already, but it seems to be newly discovered all the time!) Every time I train with the databases, I enjoy the hunting and searching. Reference questions at the library, in my opinion, are one of the most fun things about being a librarian and I appreciate finding out new ways to attack a search through the variety of resources we have available to us. I have learned that even though some databases provide the same information, it may be easier to obtain it from one over another and it may be more pertinent information for the patron asking the reference question. It is always vital to narrow down the search with the patron to find out specifically what is needed and how the information may be used. I had a genealogical search that I assisted with today in Ancestry and it was helpful that the patron called in prior to coming to the library. It made it so much easier when she arrived with birth dates and estimated death dates and states where the ancestor had lived. Armed with that information, she was quickly able to find what she needed and wean away the people who had the same names!
Thanks for keeping us challenged!
A little bit of learning can spread a long way.
1 comment:
We are thrilled to pieces that SDSL e-resources are helping your everyday work as a librarian. Thanks for stepping up to the Challenge, Diane, and for giving us these concrete examples of library life in your town!
Post a Comment