A basic search on "lunar eclipse" limited to full text yielded about 1700 responses. Next I narrowed it by publication date to 2000-2012 which brought the responses down to about 1300. Limiting the resources to magazines dwindled the sources to about 500. From there it was possible to choose to include specific people of interest for research that could be found in the articles.
I think that if I were using this with a student, it would be important to narrow down the information in their research before looking in Proquest to find the most pertinent information in the least amount of time. Knowing what type of support they needed for their project (such as whether or not they would require scholarly or trade articles or if newspapers or magazines would suffice) would also be helpful. I know of an instance when I tried to help a high school senior who was looking for information on ongoing research in the medical field regarding a specific disease for her research paper. I wish I had known then what I know now!
I read most of the other blogs and some were not on this lesson yet, but everyone seemed to be getting something out of the Challenge process. Sometimes when I am lost, I will check up on what another blogger is doing to help me out!
For the patron interested in news items about different states that have lotteries, I started out with an advanced search using state governments/lotteries/united states as my search text with field limiters for full text, magazine and newspaper articles. This resulted in quite a few articles, many of the first ones were applicable, but in the first 20 I had an article about New Zealand lotteries...huh?
Questioning and refining the patron's specific interest would help narrow the search further.
I read most of the other blogs and some were not on this lesson yet, but everyone seemed to be getting something out of the Challenge process. Sometimes when I am lost, I will check up on what another blogger is doing to help me out!
For the patron interested in news items about different states that have lotteries, I started out with an advanced search using state governments/lotteries/united states as my search text with field limiters for full text, magazine and newspaper articles. This resulted in quite a few articles, many of the first ones were applicable, but in the first 20 I had an article about New Zealand lotteries...huh?
Questioning and refining the patron's specific interest would help narrow the search further.
1 comment:
Great message in support of the reference interview prior to searching, Diane! YES. Before touching the keyboard, find out what your patron really wants or needs. Good work, and thanks for your comments.
Post a Comment