It has become increasingly difficult to find what I call "clean reads" for my patrons. Inspirational fiction does fill some of the patrons' wishes, but others just want a good story in a book that doesn't "preach at them" (although there are tons of inspirational fiction authors who do not "preach" or evangelize.)
While I have readers that can read anything and skim over the objectionable parts, some of them are angry about familiar old authors writing new books that just have to add the f-bomb several times. (Trying to reach a younger market??) And, of course, I receive the brunt of the venting as a front line story provider.
Listening to the venting is fine but I often find myself in agreement with them. One of my favorite authors that I have read for over 20 years has just started doing the same thing. After checking out one of his recent books, I was able to skim over some things that offended me, but when it became lewd and crude, I shut the book and took it back to the library. I could say it's an age thing and that I'm an old fuddy-duddy, but I have younger readers than myself complaining....okay, just about everyone is getting to be younger than myself, but I'll save that for another post. Sigh. Any ideas out there?
No comments:
Post a Comment